Spring is here and it has brought us some new trends as well as some twists on old classics – from pastels, lace, ruffles, and other quintessential springtime trends to metallics, bold geometric patterns, and a fresh take on floral prints, we’ve got a little bit of all of this season’s must-haves.
For this little lookbook we’ve done something a little different and partnered up with two other stores – Crowned By Grace Boutique and The Edge Apparel – to bring you a mixed-and-matched combination of both vintage and modern pieces. As a stylist, one of my biggest tips for incorporating vintage into your wardrobe is to break it up with modern pieces so it doesn’t feel quit as intimidating, so these looks are all perfect examples of exactly how I would do that!
This first look features multiple trends, namely the pastel trend and – quite possibly my favorite trend at the moment – ruffles! As soon as I saw this light blue off-the-shoulder tunic/dress, I knew I wanted to feature it. It’s so sweet and simple which makes it so versatile! I’ve layered it over a pair of crisp white wide-leg pants but it could be worn as a dress for those of us with shorter legs, I’ve paired it with a chunky statement necklace here to accentuate the collarbone area but you could swap that out for a fun patterned silk scarf or a daintier choker-style necklace if you prefer, the options are endless. To top it off I’ve added a white floppy hat which, on top of simply being super cute, also offers a bit of shade from the springtime sunshine!
Next, I went to the opposite end of the spectrum and traded pastels for another spring color trend – bold colors! Bold patterns – stripes, in particular – were all over the runways this season, so we’ve combined both trends into one look! I kept the top simple with this light and airy white blouse that touches again on the bare shoulder trend with its drapey chiffon overlay and I’ve used accessories to bring in another bold color. Adding a pop of color can sometimes be a tricky balancing act but incorporating coordinating accessories is a super easy way to keep your outfit looking pulled together and this bright magenta really compliments the bold green stripes on this skirt.
Continuing with the bold prints and colors theme, this 1960s shift dress is the perfect representation of both. Where the 1970s has been a major influence in past seasons, the 1960s is now taking the lead – we’re seeing designers moving away from flowy bohemian silhouettes and toward chic and simple shapes like this one. We lucked out and found a cross body bag in the exact same shade of coral as our dress so I jumped at the opportunity to create a monochromatic outfit – another huge trend for spring! Then all I had left to do to complete this fun look was to add a chunky gold necklace to play off of the gold hardware on the purse, and voila!
Finally, the floral prints this season are definitely not your average floral prints – think less dainty, more psychedelic. Bold, bright, and groovy, these pants are a great example of the fresh florals we’re seeing this spring. They’re also a wonderfully unique way to incorporate pattern into an outfit! Instead of a floral print blouse or dress, switch it up and wear your pattern on bottom while keeping your top simple like I did here. The open-knit sweater is a great spring layering piece because it allows for maximum breathability on warmer days.
Metallics are a trend gaining momentum very quickly. They’re practically everywhere you look, and not just in jewelry and other accessories! This 1970s champagne colored glittery cowl neck blouse, for instance, is a more interesting and unique way to wear the trend. Layering it underneath this modern silky black wide-leg jumpsuit makes it feel instantly more modern and updated! I kept the accessories here simple with black earrings, a coordinating black beaded necklace, and a small metallic clutch for a super chic ensemble perfect for a spring night out.
Lets face it, pastels are always going to be in fashion for springtime! However, you’re not limited to the typical cotton candy pink and blue. This season’s “pastels” could more accurately be described as muted colors. Again, instead of cotton candy pastels, we’re seeing colors like the muted coral of this striped sleeveless blouse and the muted turquoise of these high-waisted shorts. Speaking of high-waisted shorts, that’s a trend that isn’t going anywhere anytime soon either – it’s a silhouette that’s so flattering on so many different body types! Tucking a statement necklace under a shirt collar is a great way to add just the right amount of interest to what otherwise could’ve been a relatively plain outfit, and these giant pastel pink pearls definitely make a statement!
Finally, we’ve got another staple trend for spring – lace! Dainty and delicate blouse on top with some cute and casual mustard yellow skinny jeans on bottom makes for a perfectly balanced outfit. The ruffled collar, cuffs, and peplum detailing of this top make it extra feminine and extra trendy! To break it up and add a bit more interest, I layered up some gold toned necklaces and finished it off with a gorgeous brown suede cross body bag – the mustard yellow, brown, and gold accents all complement each other and really pull the whole outfit together!
And that concludes our spring trends lookbook for 2017! These are just a few of the many pieces our store as well as Crowned By Grace Boutique and The Edge Apparel offer, so stop by and let us help you find some new items to add to your wardrobe this season!
- pastel blue off-shoulder ruffle tunic/dress, $46.95 at Crowned By Grace Boutique
- 1970s white polyester wide-leg pants with braided pocket and belt detailing, XS, $33 at Vintage Tex
- 1980s white crocheted floppy sunhat, $18 at Vintage Tex
- 1960s white multistrand layered beaded necklace, $12 at Vintage Tex
- white chiffon blouse with shoulder cutouts, $34.99 at The Edge Apparel
- 1970s green and white striped skirt, XS, $23 at Vintage Tex
- 1980s bright magenta beaded necklace, $12 at Vintage Tex
- bright magenta 3-compartment wristlet, $21.99 at The Edge Apparel
- 1960s super bold coral stripes and polka dots mini mod shift dress, S, $43 at Vintage Tex
- 1980s chunky gold box chain necklace, $18 at Vintage Tex
- bright coral cross body purse, $23.99 at The Edge Apparel
- open-knit ivory sweater, $36.99 at The Edge Apparel
- 1970s style bold floral print flared pants, S, $38 at Vintage Tex
- 1960s light beige chunky beaded necklace, $16 at Vintage Tex
- 1970s champagne glittery cowl neck top, M/L, $25 at Vintage Tex
- silky black jumpsuit with adjustable waist tie detail, $42.95 at Crowned By Grace Boutique
- 1960s black cut gem clip-on earrings, $8 at Vintage Tex
- 1970s simple black beaded necklace, $10 at Vintage Tex
- 1960s champagne metallic clutch, $18 at Vintage Tex
- pastel coral and white striped sleeveless blouse, $34.95 at Crowned By Grace Boutique
- 1950s light blue high-waisted shorts with white piping detail, XS, $45 at Vintage Tex
- 1960s giant pastel pink faux pearls, $16 at Vintage Tex
- 1980s long sleeved ruffly lace blouse, XS, $23 at Vintage Tex
- mustard yellow skinny jeans, $48.95 at Crowned By Grace Boutique
- long gold arrowhead pendant, $18 at Crowned By Grace Boutique
- long beaded necklace, $15 at Crowned By Grace Boutique
- beaded choker, $10 at The Edge Apparel
- brown suede cross body bag with gold chain strap, $49.99 at The Edge Apparel